Now that we are coming up to mid-May, the warmer months are (hopefully) upon us! Granted we can’t take as much advantage of the weather as we are still in lockdown in the UK but that means more time for Disney movies right?! As many of us have plenty of time on our hands, Disney Plus has proved incredibly popular after its release in March (for the UK) so what better way to get in the spirit by belting out some Disney songs to lighten our spirits?
Below I have compiled a small list of catchy Disney songs to keep us all smiling. There are SO many fab ones so it was very tricky to choose just 20 but here they are. Enjoy! 🙂
Hakuna Matata – The Lion King
Funky facts about The Lion King…
- The Lion King was originally going to be called “King Of The Jungle”
- The Lion King was the first Disney movie to feature an original story line.
- Hakuna Matata wasn’t in the original script!
You’re Welcome – Moana
Some facts about Moana..
- Maui’s dimples and eyebrow raise are directly based on Johnson’s.
- All the noises from Pua are real pigs! (no humans involved)
- Maui was originally going to be bald.
Remember Me – Coco
Some facts about Coco… (I cry every time I watch this, it’s defo one of my favourite Disney songs!)
- Coco is Mexico’s highest grossing film, ever.
- The movie has a lot of other references, including Toy Story, The Incredibles & Finding Nemo.
- Coco took 6 years to complete.
Love Is An Open Door – Frozen
Some facts about Frozen…
- Frozen grossed over 1.3 billion dollars at the box office
- ‘Let It Go’ was written in less than a day
- It was the first feature Disney film to be directed by a woman
Tale As Old As Time – Beauty & The Beast
Some facts about Beauty & The Beast…
- The prince’s name is never mentioned in the movie.
- Every line of the title song has exactly five syllables.
- Beauty and the Beast was the first Disney animated film to cross the 100 million dollars box office mark.
A Whole New World – Aladdin
Some facts about Aladdin…
- Aladdin was inspired by Tom Cruise
- The genie was designed, written and created for Robin Williams
- Nearly all of the genie’s lines were improvised.
You Got A Friend In Me – Toy Story
Some facts about Toy Story…
- Buzz was originally named Tempest
- In their most productive week, the Pixar team completed 3.5 minutes of animation.
- Toy Story was originally going to be called “You Are A Toy”
Spoonful Of Sugar – Mary Poppins
Some facts on Mary Poppins…
- It took more than 20 years to convince the author of Mary Poppins to sell the movie rights.
- A Spoonful of Sugar was inspired by the polio vaccine
- The Supercalifragilistic scene was shot so many times that the kids got sick of eating the toffee apples.
I Wanna Be Like You – The Jungle Book
Some Jungle Book facts..
- It was the last animated feature film that Walt Disney oversaw.
- The Beatles were asked to voice the Vultures
- The original story was adapted as it was “too dark”
I’ll Make A Man Out Of You – Mulan
Some facts about Mulan…
- Mulan helped launch Christina Aguilera’s singing career
- Mulan was voiced by two actors
- Apparently, the staff brewed 1,630 pounds of coffee during production.
I Just Can’t Wait To Be King – The Lion King
Some more facts on The Lion King…
- There are no real lion roars used in the film, they were all done by a voice actor who created the roars by growling into a metal can
- Real lions were brought into a studio so animators could study them for reference
- The Lion King is the best selling VHS tape of all time.
Friend Like Me – Aladdin
Some more Aladdin facts..
- Williams does over 60 characters as Genie in the film
- Aladdin broke Disney records for its box office performance and VHS sales
- The film was shot in the same place as Lawrence of Arabia
I Won’t Say I’m In Love – Hercules
Some facts about Hercules…
- Hercules is the first movie to break away from Disney’s favoritism towards Fairy tales.
- Hercules animators wore out 72,000 pencils and used 1 million sheets of animation paper.
- Disney attempted to have Hercules premiere at Pynx Hill in Greece, but the government forbid it.
I See The Light – Tangled
Some facts about Tangled…
- Tangled is the first Disney Princess movie to be rated PG
- It’s been calculated that Rapunzel’s hair weighs around 10.4 pounds. Special software was created to animate the 70 feet of hair. If all the hairs on Rapunzel’s head were laid end-to-end, it would be 1,820 miles long.
- There were over 45,000 lanterns during the sequence of this song alone!
Everybody Wants To Be A Cat – The Aristocats
Some facts about The Aristocats…
- It was the last film to be approved by Walt Disney directly
- At one point, there was also a fourth kitten named Waterloo
- Scat Cat was originally going to be voiced by Louis Armstrong
The Bells Of Notre Dame – The Hunchback Of Notre Dame
Some facts about The Hunchback Of Notre Dame…
- Recording sessions were videotaped
- All animation for the movie was done by hand!
- It took over 620 people to complete the film.
Kiss The Girl – The Little Mermaid
Some facts about The Little Mermaid…
- Disney hired a Chinese animation studio to draw over one million bubbles by hand to ease their workload.
- Jodi Benson was said to have recorded the song in the dark in order to simulate the feeling of being underwater.
- The Little Mermaid was the first collaboration between Disney and Pixar
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious – Mary Poppins
Some more facts about Mary Poppins…
- It has earned 102.3 million dollars in its lifetime
- The sequence of Step In Time was only meant to last for 2 minutes.
- It took around 20 years for Mary Poppins to get made.
Breaking Free – High School Musical
Some facts about High School Musical…
- The falling snow in the New Year’s eve scene was actually potato flakes
- Troy was lip-syncing and had the singing dubbed in the first movie.
- The actors that played Sharpay & Ryan didn’t get along behind the scenes.
That completes the 20 Disney songs for this post! I hope you felt some nostalgia whilst listening to many of these childhood favourites. Let me know in the comments below if I mentioned (or missed!) your favourite, and don’t forget to check out my previous post (with some fab book recommendations) if you enjoyed reading.